- 1/2 to 3/4cups chopped dates
- 1/2 to 3/4cups apple brandy (or Calvados)
- 2cups unbleached, all purpose flour
- 2cups white sugar
- 2teaspoons baking soda
- 1teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4teaspoon salt
- 4cups slightly tart apples: peeled, cored and roughly chopped
- 1/2cup melted sweet butter
- 2eggs, lightly beaten
1. Check the weather, pull on some rubber boots and steel yourself for some rainy day apple picking.
2. Buy excessively, ‘tis the season.
3. Bake apple desserts daily, or until your kids claim that they no longer like dessert.
4. Discover a new favorite sticky date and apple cake recipe.
5. Pat yourself on the back for realizing that this cake would make terrific muffins.
6. Pat yourself again for realizing that you’ve managed to save a few apples for this purpose.